The Night of ideas / Nuit des idées 2019 : "Facing our time" [fr]
The Night of ideas will take place on January 31st 2019, and will focus on the theme : "Facing our time". Guests from diverse backgrounds - intellectuals, researchers, artists - will gather to discuss the theme all across the five continents, from Dakar to Los Angeles, not to mention Brussels, Buenos Aires, Kathmandu, Marseille and Paris...
- Read the programme www.lanuitdesidees.com/fr/program
This theme intersects three main issues :
- On contemporary events and the lucidity it calls for: technological, social, environmental, geopolitical and other deep changes are now part of our daily lives.
- On commitment, its new ways and forms : which initiatives can we take to tackle the challenges of our time ?
- On the perception of time and its transformations: in an era marked by the instantaneous diffusion of information, how can we resist the reign of immediacy ?
What is our present made of ? How to face what our present requires? In a time of multiple emergencies, what memory and what future? These will be the questions at the heart of the Night of ideas.
The Night of Ideas in numbers
- more than 1000 speakers
- 70 countries on 5 continents
- 120 cities in France and around the world
- 180 events
- 200 000 participants
- 41 millions on the internet with #lanuitdesidees
The goal of the Night of ideas (’La Nuit des idées’) is to celebrate the stream of ideas between countries, cultures, topics and generations. Every year, the Night of ideas gives the opportunity to discover the latest discoveries in knowledge and arts, to listen to the ones who contribute to bring more ideas to their field, and to take part in the discussion about the main issues of our times. And since ideas know no frontier, projects of any type are welcomed (conference, theatre play, performance, screening, concerts, etc.), and all places - whether prestigious or unexpected - are called to join the party and host original projects reflecting their own interpretation of the suggested theme. As time goes by, glimpses from the Night of ideas will echo through social media and make the Night of Ideas a global event.