Short stay visas on diplomatic or service passports

Every holder of a diplomatic or service passport is exempted from holding an airport transit visa, for a transit via France.

Laissez-passer issued by the United Nations organizations: this travel document, which does not give information about the nationality of the holder, allows to cross the borders only if it holds a diplomatic or service visa, whatever may be the nationality of the holder.

  • Required relevant documents

The applicant has to submit ones application personally to the consular department. The original documents to join as well as a copy have to be provided with the application :

-  an application form for a short stay visa (Schengen visa), duly filled out in black and signed,

-  an identity photograph,

-  the diplomatic or service passport valid 3 months after the end of the stay,

-  for an official mission, the official letter* specifying : the identity of the applicant (surname, firstname, position or familial ties justifying the holding of a diplomatic or service passport), the nature and the number of the official travel document used, and the purpose and the dates of the stay in France,

-  for a private trip : a proof of the purpose of the stay and the accommodation during this one : attestation of accommodation (for family or private visits), hotel reservation, invitation from a company...; and a proof of financial resources: 3 last bank statements.

* An official letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, of a diplomatic or consular representation or an organization of the United Nations has to accompany every application for a visa on diplomatic or service passports, also for a private trip. This letter guarantees that the applicant is allowed to travel with ones official travel document.


  • For a family or private visit, the attestation of accommodation has to be filled out and validated by the city hall of the lodging place. It leads to the collection of a tax of €30 for the Agence Nationale pour l’Accueil des Etrangers et des Migrations (ANAEM).
  • Additional documents may be requested by the consular department.

Dernière modification : 18/09/2013

til top