Do you need a visa?

Every foreign national who intends to go to France has to be able to present at the border ones documents to prove the purpose of ones stay, the financial means to live and the accomodation.

In some cases, a visa is required. It has to be requested to the consular department of the French Embassy in Copenhagen before leaving. It will be issued according to the nationality of the applicant, the length and the purpose of ones stay or ones settlement in France.


The nationals of the following states do not need a visa to go to France :

-  European Union,

-  European Economic Area (European Union + Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein),

-  Switzerland.

They can freely travel and live in France with their passport or ID card.

Thanks to bilateral agreements between France and certain countries, a visa to go to France is not required for the nationals of those countries.

In order to know if you need a visa, check the official website of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The non-EU nationals living in Denmark with a valid Schengen visa or a valid Danish residence permit are allowed to go to metropolitan France for a maximum period of 90 days in any 180-day period, as long as they bring along their passport.


Holding a Schengen visa does not allow its holder to go to the French overseas departments (DOM)* or overseas territories (TOM)*. The visas for these destinations are national visas.

Please note that the holders of a valid residence permit issued by a Schengen state are allowed to enter the french overseas territories for a maximum of tree months.

* Overseas departments : Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Martinique, Réunion ;

* Overseas territories : Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon, Mayotte, French Polynesia, Wallis and Futuna, Terres Australes et Antarctiques françaises, New Caledonia.

For an up to 3 months stay, the holder of a Schengen visa has to apply to the consular department for a visa, specific to the DOM or TOM ones travels.

For a more than 3 months stay, a long stay visa is required.

A visa only valid for a DOM or TOM does not allow to go to metropolitan France.


Residence permits issued by the authorities of the Feroe Islands and Greenland are valid only for these territories. They do not allow the non-EU nationals to enter the Schengen Space (except Denmark and Sweden).

In order to enter the Schengen Space for a maximum period of maximum 90 days in any 180-day period, the applicant has to contact the Danish Immigration Service (Udlaendingeservice) and apply for a return permit (Tilbagerejsetilladelse). This return permit has to accompany ones holder during ones stay.

Non-EU nationals living in the Feroe Islands or in Greenland have to hold a long stay visa in order to settle in France.

Purpose, length of the stay or settlement in France

For how long and which purpose(s) do you intend to apply for a visa ?

Short stay visa (maximum 90 days in any 180-day period) :

-  for a transit in the airport international area or out of the international area,

-  for a family or private visit, professional purposes, touring or studying in metropolitan France as well as the DOM or TOM,

-  for a professional or tourist visit in Djibouti,

- on diplomatic or service passports.

Long stay visa (more than 3 months), for metropolitan France, the DOM or TOM :

-  for touring, a family or private visit,

-  for studying,

-  for an internship,

-  for a professional activity,

-  for the foreign spouse of a French national or European Union citizen,

-  for minors to study,

-  for scientists.


  • Processing fees have to be paid to the consular department when submitting the application for the visa. These are processing fees for the application for the visa and imply in no means the automatic issue of a visa.

No refund will be made in case of visa refusal.

  • It is recommended to submit the visa application for the visa 2 months before the expected issue.
  • The issue of a visa does not in itself grant the right to enter the French territory and the Schengen Space. The original documents presented when submitting the application might be requested by the border authorities and should also be kept by the visa holder throughout his stay.

Dernière modification : 31/10/2013

til top